Thursday, September 10, 2015

NT75 Day 4: Matthew 13-16 - Joy and Sacrifice



Today's reading may contain my favorite saying of Jesus about the Kingdom (13.44).

The Kingdom is like a guy who is walking in a field and stubs his toe on something, digs it up, and finds it to be a treasure chest of unspeakable worth.  He goes and sells everything that he has and buys the field that contains the treasure.

And he does so in joy.

He gave up everything.  In Joy.

Can you imagine the conversation with his wife?  "Hey babe.  I'm liquidating all of our investments, cashing in every retirement account, and we're selling the house right now.  I have a piece of property that we just have to have."

And he did it all with a smile on his face.  In Joy.

The sacrifice (and tumult that no doubt came along with it) was joyful.  The only reason we can say that:  he knew he was gaining far more than he was giving up.

May it be so for me today as I follow Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment