Tuesday, September 22, 2015

#NT75 Day 16: Luke 4-6 Confession is good for the soul

The beauty of pastoring the church I pastor is that what I'm about to say won't hack anyone off or particularly surprise anyone.  And besides, they say confession is good for the soul.

Here's my confession:  I missed yesterday's Bible reading plan for our NT75 journey.

I have reasons.  It was a crazy day at the hospital, etc.  But those reasons don't really matter.  Here's what does:  if you have missed a day or two (like I have!), then you can catch up (like I am!).  Keep reading.  It's worth the fight.

Here's a brief reflection (a day late) from Luke 4-6.

I hate what happened in Nazareth.  And I even have a little note in my Bible on the side that is a reminder to pray against that in my own life and in the life of our church.

What happened?  They had Jesus, the Son of God, right there in front of them.  They had Him teaching and fulfilling the Scripture right in front of them.  They had Jesus challenging them.

And they drove Him out because of it.

They didn't like what He had to say and "were filled with wrath" (4.28), so they drove Him out and had every intention of tossing Him off a cliff.

But here's they part I hate even more than the rejection of Christ.  "But passing through their midst, He went away."

That's what I pray against in my own life and in the life of our church family.  Should Jesus speak, we would hear and not want to throw Him off a cliff.  But more than that:  He wouldn't, because of our recalcitrance, pass through our midst and go away.

May it never be.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment