Wednesday, September 23, 2015

#NT75 Day 17: Luke 7-9 He is worthy...wait, no he's not

In the first verses of today's reading, the story of Jesus healing the Centurion's servant pops up.  Here's what bit me - and I do mean that.  It latched on with fangs and is still hanging on to my heart and mind.

They said of him, "He is worthy to have You do this for him..." (v.4)

He said of himself, "I am not worthy to have You come under my roof..." (v.6)

The elders of Capernaum thought the Centurion was worthy.  The Centurion thought differently.

It reminds me of this A.W. Tozer quote:  "The beautiful thing about a holy man is that he is the only one who doesn't know he is holy."  And this one from Proverbs 27:  "Let another praise you and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips."

Here's the challenge that has not let go:  live my life so that others think I'm worthy but stay humble and authentic enough to know I'm not.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment