Monday, September 21, 2015

#NT75 Day 15: Luke 1-3 A Tale of Two Questions

I get asked as a pastor if it's okay to question God.

The answer is yes.  I do so - and often.  The bottom line is we have to be prepared for His answer or His attitude in response to our questions.  But He is Abba, our Father.  It is a relationship, part of which involves questions.

Learn from Zechariah and Mary.

Zechariah's question (1.18):  "How shall I know this?"  The angel rebuked him and made him mute because of his unbelief, his lack of faith (v.20).

Mary's question (1.34):  "How will this be?"  The angel explained and she responded with a faith-filled surrender to God's will (v.38).

One questioned how in the world God would make something happen, a question lacking faith.  One questioned how God would do it, a question filled with faith?  Both attached their circumstances to their questions.  "I'm an old man and my wife is old too."  "I'm a virgin."

One ended up mute.  One ended up singing.  One was a priest.  One was a teenage girl.  One asked from doubt.  One asked from faith.  One was incredulous.  One was curious.

It's okay to ask God questions.  It really is.  It's always best to have your heart in a position to say, "I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word" before you do the asking.  That way you're prepared when He answers.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment