Friday, April 9, 2010

Apathy and action



When spiritual apathy reigns, it's best to act like your priorities are true until you believe they are. That's not faking it, that's faith-filled living.


As a pastor, I often get invited into people's spiritual journeys.  That includes the moments when they don't feel much, don't like God much, don't want to pray much, don't read the Bible much, etc.  The counsel I always give them is stated above.  

Priorities determine passions.  Jesus said it this way:  where your treasure is, that's where your heart will be.  Treasure - priorities, heart - passion.  

I get two versions of pushback.  The first one I answered above.  Isn't it hypocritical to act like you feel or want something when you don't? Sometimes it is, sometimes not.  It is when you're not being honest about it with God, yourself, and those who love you.  That's hypocrisy.  But when you're disciplining yourself based on the things you know to be true, even if you don't want it or don't feel it, that's faith.

The second pushback I get revolves around feelings.  "But I just can't make myself feel it."  They're right about that.  But feelings are terrible guides to life, which is the position we put them in way too often, straining their God-given role.  Feelings are great companions, letting us know when something isn't right in our world.  But guides?  No way.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're blogging. I follow Ginn's blog daily.

    I needed to hear this thought today as I've been feeling pretty apathetic lately, spiritually-speaking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete