Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Empty, Full

Empty me of the selfishness inside,
Any vain ambition, and the poison of my pride.
Any foolish thing my heart holds to
Empty me of me so I can be
Filled with You.

Empty Me, by Chris Sligh

That's a song worth listening to in Christian music.  More than that, it's a prayer worth praying.

But I'm glad the last line is in there.  In teaching on the Holy Spirit this fall, I'm thinking a lot about Paul's command to be filled with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5.18).  And I think about that in light of Jesus' admonition that if He cleans your house out, it better get filled up with something else or the demons (literal or figurative) will return with all their friends for a frat-style toga party and never leave (Luke 11.24-26).

So a simple exhortation for you and me on a Wednesday:  don't think about emptying yourself, think about being filled.  The filling of the Spirit in my life is the best way to dislodge and displace the sin that remains.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment