Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Saying Goodbye

It's funny getting to the age where you have people that you send off from college into careers, not seeing them as peers but more like your kids.  I'm at that age.  This past Sunday, we prayed and sent off a friend and his fiancee to start a new position in a church across town.  I'm super-excited for them and pretty dang sad for us.

He, she, and they babysat our kids.  He housesat while we were on vacation.  He's travelled with me for ministry.  They've spent a good number of hours in our living room and our around our table.

And now they're moving on.  The relationship will still be there but not the day-in and day-out connectedness.

And that leads me to think about who the next person might be that God would raise up.  I like pouring into younger people.  And the Queen is an expert at that kind of relationship.  And so in mourning, we'll start asking for the next opportunity.  I have some friends from college who live in the DFW Metroplex who do this so well, staying invested in the young singles of their church.  And I know there are others, those who inconvenience themselves for the sake of the Kingdom.

And then that leads me to you, dear reader.  If you're at "that age" (whatever the number may be), do you have someone into which you can invest?  Do you have someone you can ask about life and be told the truth?  Do you have someone to whom you can offer wisdom?

And if not, why not?

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment