Here are the notes from today's sermon that kicked off our worship series. To view these notes in PDF as well as hear the sermon audio, visit sermons.heritagepark.org (these are normally available mid-week). You can also find the sermon audio on iTunes and subscribe to our podcast.
Part 1 – A Beautiful Thing
Lean forward: the invitation to worship God.
- How we receive this hangs on whether we came to evaluate or engage.
- That is measured by whether we brought expectations or anticipation.
Worship: responding to God with our allegiance, affection, and action.
- Worship always involves sacrifice (v.3).
- Her sacrifice was lavish (v.4-5).
- Her sacrifice was physical.
- Where our priorities are pointed, our passions follow.
- Everyone worships something.
- Our culture’s favorite idol: status.
- Sometimes worship is affection, sometimes longing, and sometimes sorrow (v.8).
- What we do as worship often outlasts us (v.9).
- What we do as worship reveals our allegiances (v.10-11).