Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sermon Notes from 2.6.11

Here are the notes from today's sermon on the Olivet Discourse in Mark 13.  If the truth be told, end times material is not my comfort zone which is exactly why I preach through books of the Bible.  I'd never pick up Mark 13 and preach it on my own.  I'm sure that says more about me than I care to know and want to reveal, but it's the truth.  I focused on Jesus' command to "Watch Out!" (Greek blepo).  I did that not only because it's my temperament, but because in light of what Jesus emphasized it seemed textually appropriate and even necessary.  As usual, find the sermon audio and these notes in PDF at sermons.heritagepark.org.  I got an email that we've had some iTunes issues, but those should be resolved this week.

Happy Super Bowling everyone.


The Unknown Hour
Mark 13.1-37

Jesus’ response involves three elements:
  • Prediction
  • Certainty
  • Command

Watch Out:  Chaos Happens (v.5-8)
  • An environment of chaos can lead to confusion.
  • An environment of chaos can breed charlatans.
  • Jesus’ command:  stay focused.
Watch Out:  Persecution Arises (v.9-20)
  • Persecution will come from various sources.
  • Persecution will come because you follow Jesus. 
  • Persecution will provide an opportunity to proclaim the Gospel.
  • Jesus’ command:  stay faithful.
Watch Out:  Deceivers Exist (v.21-23)
  • Deceivers will pervert the Truth of Christ.
  • Deceivers will prove completely convincing.  
  • Jesus’ command:  stay rooted.

Watch Out:  Stay Awake (v.24-37)
  • The return of Christ will be visible, personal, and unmistakable.
  • Guessing about the signs is no substitute for ongoing obedience.
  • Jesus’ command:  stay confident.  

No comments:

Post a Comment