Monday, February 21, 2011

Not me. Only Him.

"My back really hurts."

That's what my lovely bride said to me the other morning.  Her being a physical therapist and tougher than everyone reading this (unless you're a Delta Operator...when it'd be a tie), I knew it hurt.  Being the kind and generous husband I am, I asked what I could do to help knowing full well I didn't have a clue.  A little KinesioTape, a phone call to our pharmacist friend to check on drug interactions, and a prayer later, she was out the door to work (still in pain).

I feel just as inadequate in ministry sometimes.  I have two degrees, would like a third, 15 years of experience, great mentors, and read a lot.  I still feel lost sometimes.  Counseling situations baffle me.  Leadership situations confuse me.  Relationship issues befuddle me.  Sometimes even the process of sermonizing (my wife's verb for it) escapes me.

Paul, after reflecting on the seriousness of ministry, asks in 2 Corinthians 2.16, "Who is sufficient for these things?"

Not me.  Only Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment