Jesus v. Religion (Rd. 1)
Religion: the place people run to be respected when they refuse to be real.
4 Markers of Religion
- Redefining to suit their worldview
- Canonizing common sense
- Focusing on fences
- Institutionalizing self-preservation
Jesus’ Response to Religion
He gets ruthless
- He calls them names and calls them out.
- He relentlessly shows them for what they are: self-righteous hypocrites.
- He refuses to allow them to void God’s message by shrouding it in rules.
He gets personal
- Jesus makes sure that we know we must personally reckon with Him.
- The question has been asked and must be answered: Who do you say I am?
He exposes idols
- Idol and rules are inseparable.
- Rule: I must keep all the rules.
- Rule: I must break all the rules.
- Both are idolatry in the heart because they set self above God.
He offers a different way
- The hint of Jesus’ way: “their heart is far from me” (v.6).
- He does not want us to obey – He wants to transform us into people who normally obey.