Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I decided to know nothing...

I was speaking with a friend of mine yesterday about an encounter he had with a Mormon.  The elders who are out on the bikes with the long pants, white shirts and ties are dedicated individuals (as well as slightly crazy for wearing long pants in the Houston heat).  Most of them are also incredibly polite and nice.

The conversation involved why my friend believed what he believed and the typical Mormon retorts, such as the Book of Mormon isn't meant to change the Bible, just help it be clearer, etc.  In my conversation with my friend, I tried to encourage him that our calling is Christ and Him crucified.  Paul entered Corinth with a plurality of viewpoints, worldviews, and problems facing him.  He had resistance and immorality and divisions.  In the midst of all of it, "I determined to know nothing among you but Jesus Christ and Him crucified."  Apparently, that was enough.

Certainly Paul argued well.  I'm sure he did apologetics and logic.  But his arguments and apologetics and logic served to make the belief in Christ plausible.  The message of Christ crucified still has to be received in the heart by faith.  And that's the message from which we cannot stray for unbelievers and believers.

The Gospel is how we live.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment