Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bearing Burdens, Sharing Burdens

I talked to a friend of mine on the phone yesterday who's in the midst of trial and tribulation, frustration and fire.  I heard it in his voice and in his words.  He was honest and grateful for the call.  One of the things he said that stuck with me:  "I just tend to stuff things.  I know it's not right, but I do."

And that got me to thinking.  Why don't we take our burdens to God?  What is it about us, our burden, or God that we don't respond to God's command to cast all our anxiety on Him?  There may be 1000 reasons, but here are a couple.  We don't take it to God because...

We don't actually think God cares for our life.  We may think God cares about the economy, terrorism, heaven, or gay marriage, but He doesn't care about the average, everyday of life on Main Street.  But the Scripture is clear:  God does care for you, for you as you are, for your life as it happens on Tuesdays at 3:38pm.

We're prideful in that we think we can carry this on our own, managing the stressors and situations of life.  Pride is an isolating force, convincing us we don't need others.  Even when others seek to help or intervene, we answer their inquiries with the teenage-inspired attitude of "I got this."  Pride gets particularly insidious when we actually share about our burden or issue but don't share it.  This is the guy or gal who constantly talks about their burden but doesn't actually do anything about it nor let others do anything about it.

We're guilty and this is my way to atone for my sin.  Because I did sin A, this burden C or D or E is in my life.  Surely if I carry the burden, sin A won't haunt me and I can make it right.  But there is only one way that sin is atoned for and made right.  That is through the cross of Jesus Christ where the Son of God bore the wrath of God for those who have faith in God.

We're scared because this burden has become so much a part of me that I'll feel lost without it.  Like some jacked-up Stockholm Syndrome, I question:  if I release this, what will my identity be?

Instead, cast all your cares/anxieties/worries on Him because He cares for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment