Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tree of Life Day 17: Exodus 14-17, 20

I love the Ten Commandments.  Not only do they help us understand a basic moral code for living in the world with one another, not only are they foundational for practically every just society in the world, but I love them because of the way they begin.
"I am the LORD your God, who brought  you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery." (Exodus 20.2).
I love that.  Here's why.

Long before God required of them adherence to a spiritual and moral code, He delivered them.  Long before God demanded obedience to His Law, He rescued them.  He was a Liberty-Giver before He was a Law-Giver.

It leaves no room for me pretending I was good enough, obedient enough, holy enough, or anything enough to deserve such a salvation.

Because I couldn't do anything to please Him on the front end, I have no room to boast.  I can't wave the Trent flag, pretending that because I did this or that (like, being a pastor) that God should like me more or even at all.

And here's the part that sweetens the love I have:  because I didn't have to perform on the front end, I'm free to perform in the now.  The Spirit of Jesus, who fulfilled the Law (Matthew 5.17), lives in me.  It makes sense that if Law-fulfiller lives in me that I will want to fulfill the Law, not in a "so that" way but in a "because of" way.

I am free to "walk in a wide place, for I have sought your precepts" (Psalm 119.44-45).  In obedience, I find freedom.  This kind of Law doesn't bind but blesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment