Tree of Life
Part 2 – People of Purpose
1 Peter 2.9-10
- He’s called by God to follow Him and promised a blessing.
- Believed and followed God, though He didn’t understand.
- Isaac is born to him at 100, and shortly after is offered as a sacrifice.
- Marries Rebekah after Abraham sends a servant to the homeland.
- Jacob and Esau are born – Rebekah is promised that the older will serve the younger.
- Rebekah helps Jacob deceive Isaac.
- Running from Esau, Jacob ends up marrying Leah and Rachel.
- Bilhah and Zilpah come as part of the package.
- Jacob has 12 sons and gets a new name and becomes Israel.
- At 17, Joseph has a dream about his future.
- He goes from the pit to Potiphar to the prison – blessed and being a blessing.
- After 20 years, his original dream comes true – He is used by God to save His people.
What does it mean?
God moves to make us His people.
- Chosen Race – based not on our ethnicity but God’s activity.
- Royal Priesthood – representing God through proclamation and the world to God through prayer.
- Holy Nation – a people set apart to look like Him.
- His Possession – there is a change in ownership and we are under His authority.
God uses His people for His purpose.
- He doesn’t leave us with nothing to do.
- We are blessed to bless others.