Monday, February 20, 2012

Tree of Life Day 15: Exodus 1-4

But Lord, what if I don't want to?

That's a funny question even to type.  It's petulant and childish (the "but what I don't want to?" part).  It's also theologically converse - because if you're addressing the Lord, you don't get to say anything but, "Yes sir," "Aye aye, Captain," "Roger that," or any other phrase of dutiful accommodation.

You don't get to tell the Lord no, not now, or I need to do something else first.

But Moses in the wilderness asks the first question and it just doesn't go that well for him.  And I kind of chuckle.  Because it's easy to see the backwards approach of Moses' response and bad theology.  Staffs to snakes and hands sick-then-whole not withstanding, it's kind of funny.

Until I see myself doing that.

And then there's not much laughing.  And there should be more repenting.  And certainly some obeying.

Yeah.  I've never been told to have a tough conversation and been too chicken to give my yes to that.  I've never been commanded to confess sin to someone else and whitewashed it like a static-free electronics room.  I've never been ordered to serve someone that it's difficult to serve ("Surely not him, Lord...") and backed off because my schedule was a little too busy and I have to be a good steward of my time.  I've never been prompted to be generous somewhere but found myself a little too light in the wallet.

Nope.  Not me.  Me and Moses - nothing in common...

No comments:

Post a Comment