Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The soil of my marriage

I meet with a lot of people who want me to help them fix their marriages.  I'm a pastor.  That's what I do, right?  Well...

Not so much.

Most people, especially in the ministry context I am in, think that if they can change one part of the equation that they can get a much better outcome on on the other side of the equal sign.  Change a variable in the formula, get a preferred result.

The problem with that is (and we repeated this over and over this past weekend) that marriage is not a formula.  It's more like a garden.  The disciplines that we sow into our marriage are not "fixes" that are diagnosed and then cured.  The disciplines we sow into our marriages are more like fertilizers for the soil in which our marriage grows.

You fix a car.

You grow a marriage.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment