Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On the foot of a freshman

Jordan Williamson is the kicker for the Stanford Cardinal football team.  Here's to hoping this morning that he still has a job.  The poor kid from Austin, Texas, missed not one but two key field goals last night in the Fiesta Bowl, leaving the door open for the Oklahoma State Cowboys to win with a field goal in overtime.


One of the shots that ESPN put on TV was of Williamson hanging his head on the bench.  No teammate around him.  Alone.  Shamed.  Grieving.

I know that feeling.

For the 186th time, I've messed up.  For the 45th time that week, I've promised God I was going to do something and failed.  For the 12th time that day (or hour?) I've fought against sin and seemed to come out on the losing end.

And I feel like sitting on the sideline with my head in my hands.  Alone.  Shamed.  Grieving.

That's precisely where the Enemy would want me.  His ministry of condemnation means he'd love to fly this banner over my life:  unfit for use or service.  His words?  "You're useless."

But the Scripture couldn't be clearer:  there is NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  None. Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  Zero.

For those who have heads down today.  Lift up your heads and see the Truth.  And then step out into it and get back in the game.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

1 comment: