Three Pair of Old Shoes
A Series on Spiritual Growth
Part 2 - Disciplines
1 Timothy 4.7-8
Pictures of Spiritual Disciplines
- Weeding and Fertilizing a Garden -‐ Health
- Seeing a Doctor and Getting Some Exercise -‐ Activity
- Shooting Free Throws to Perform under Pressure -‐ Freedom
- Hoisting a Sail on a Sailboat -‐ Grace
The Goal of Disciplines is Godliness
- There are terrible substitutes for the only proper motivation: godliness.
- Disciplines are not in themselves spiritual maturity, but stones on the path to it.
- We fully expect one another to change and should settle for nothing less.
Disciplines are Training, not Trying
- Spiritual disciplines are both commanded and assumed.
- Spiritual disciplines are continual in nature.
- Spiritual Disciplines involve bodily activities.
Disciplines Contain Abstinence and Activity
- When you struggle with doing something, you train yourself to abstain.
- When you struggle with abstaining, you train yourself to do something.
- Fasting -‐ desires out of control
- Disconnecting -‐ life at too hectic a pace
- Giving -‐ breaking greed and materialism
- Serving -‐ warring with entitlement