Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sneaking up on a Bear with a BB Gun

My completely awesome middle son, the Ninja, who fears nothing or no one, had a funny exchange with the Queen the other day.  He told her that he wanted a BB gun and she asked why.  He replied he wanted to go hunting.

Queen:  But why would you want to hurt the little animals like squirrels and rabbits and birds?

Ninja:  Mom, I wouldn't hurt them.  I'd sneak up on a bear or a tiger or something.

After dying laughing at the re-telling of the story, this thought hit me:  how many times do we approach spiritual warfare woefully unarmed and pathetically outgunned.  When it comes to our adversary, he's a roaring lion seeking whom he can devour.  We don't have to go looking for him.  He comes looking for us.

You don't take a BB gun to that fight.

No small pellets of determination or will-power or "I promise I'll do better next time" will do.

Sin is waiting to grow large enough in you to kill you according to James 1.  You better load up with heavy artillery like prayer and Bible memory and spiritual friendships.  Don't take a BB gun on a lion hunt.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment