Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Entitlement - more thoughts...

An entitlement is something I feel I have the right to but have no investment in.
I feel entitled to status.

One of the places this plays out is in airports.  I fly just enough each year to make elite status on American Airlines.  Some of the perks really are nice:  no baggage fees, exit row seating, etc.  I'm grateful for those.  But those really aren't the problem.

I get to board early and go through priority check-in and security lines.  Those are pretty nice too.  But they aren't the problem.

Sometimes, as I'm enjoying the perks, from a deep, dark place in my heart comes the desire for people to notice me in the priority check-in line.

Silly?  Yep.

Sinful?  That too.

It's the "do you know who I am" pride that runs deep in a lot of people.  Fighting that means practicing scriptural commands like, "Do not think of yourself more highly than your should" and, "Outdo one another in showing honor."

But it also means following the example of Jesus, who is God, but didn't consider that something to be grasped.  Instead, He emptied Himself, becoming a man, taking the role of a servant who would die for the sin of the world and be resurrected as the only one who really has status that lasts.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment