Here are the sermon notes from today's sermon. You can find them in PDF and the sermon audio at sermons.heritagepark.org. I ended up doing something I don't normally do by making some specific applications that weren't inherently in the text. I sensed God's prompting to do that so I went with it. I trust He was honored by it.
Assumption about Authority
- Like the leaders, we assume we are the ones in authority (v.27-28).
- Like the leaders, this assumption shows up in our questions to God.
- Questions delight God when they come from humble hearts.
- It wasn’t their ignorance, but their arrogance that Jesus rejects.
Assumption about Accountability
- Though the landowner had all the rights, the tenants felt entitled.
- Their acts of treachery escalated with each messenger (12.2-5).
- Assuming the owner was dead, they killed the son and expected it to be over (12.6-8).
- Both physically and spiritually, the leaders of the day were rejected (v.9)
- Two objections: God’s not a poor steward and He’s not guessing on the outcome with His Son. (12.10-11).
Areas of Accountability
- Morality – He sets boundaries
- Marriage – He sets roles
- Parenting – He sets goal
- Finances – He sets priorities
- Evangelism – He sets objective
- Work – He sets patterns