Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Someone worth dying for?

There's a song on Christian radio right now (I heard it this morning at the Y where my friend and I work out) that I thought was blogworthy.

The end of the chorus is a plea from the singer for the Lord "to help me believe that I am someone worth dying for."

I get the sentiment.  No one should ever feel like they are beyond the pale.  God's word is clear that all types, sizes, shapes, pasts, presents, stripes, and colors are very much within God's reach.  There is no one beyond the reach of God, because His arm is long enough to save even those farthest away (Isa. 59.1).

So, I get the sentiment.  But it's exactly that:  a sentiment.  Instead of grounding the redeem-ability of anyone in the nature of God, the song grounds it in the hope-to-be-redeemed one's faith.  And I don't know about you, but my faith can get a little shaky sometimes.

Because the truth is none of us are someone worth dying for.  I cannot think of a single person who qualifies for the God of the universe to leave heaven, slaughter His Son as a sacrifice that brings justification and reconciliation to rebellious people.

But that doesn't exactly sell songs.  The fact that He did all of that, though, is what changes everything.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment