Thursday, January 17, 2013

Funerals and Sanctification

I have two funeral this week, which for me is about what I typically do in a year.  And not that these funerals are about me, but I was thinking last night about how good they are for my soul.  There's something sanctifying about them.

God has this habit of taking the events of our actual lives and using them to shape us into who He wants us to be.  One of those things, for me, is the funeral.

When I think about the loss, the grief, the surge of emotion, and the finality of it all, I have to wrestle with the human condition of the sin that is in us and the consequence that falls on us.  But I don't just have to wrestle with it for "them" (because that would be sanitary - even easy if I didn't know them well).  I have to wrestle with it for me.

Staring down death means I have to reckon with my own mortality, to prepare myself to meet my Maker.  And that has an effect of making me think about things that are ultimate, things that matter.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment