Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Celebrating Communion

I don't ever want to go into autopilot mode when it comes to Communion.  And here's why:  a phrase in the book of James.

James?  Yes.  James.

James?  The book that doesn't really even mention the cross, much less Communion?  Yes.  That James.

James?  The book that confuses some people's understanding of faith and works?  Yes.  That James.

But here's the phrase that gets me.  I think I'll make it my "Communion Phrase" that I'll try to say (at least to myself, if not to others) every time I celebrate it.  You ready for the phrase?

Mercy triumphs over judgment (2.13).

That's exactly what I need to remember in Communion.  God's mercy is mine and His judgment is not.  His judgment was upon Christ at the cross.  His mercy is upon me right here, right now, in the life I'm living.  His judgment happened in a moment.  His mercy is new every morning.  What a thing to remember and celebrate and cherish.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment