Monday, October 31, 2011

Martin Luther and Halloween





On October 31st, 1517, a German monk protested the sale of indulgences by the Roman Catholic Church, indulgences that would allow the "donor" a free pass for himself or someone else.  The saying of the time that is sickening and jarring said, "When the coin in the coffer rings, a soul into heaven springs."  Instead of the Pope using his personal wealth to rebuild St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, indulgences were sold.

And Martin Luther couldn't stand it.

So he mailed a letter to a supervisor and posted a statement (later known as the 95 Theses) on the door of Castle Church in Wittenburg, Germany.  It sparked such an uprising and grew in such popularity that the Roman Catholic Church of the time had to deal with it.




They called Luther on the carpet, asked him to recant his writings and teachings.  He asked for more time to contemplate all that was before him.  A day was given.  The following day, he was asked again to recant his writings and teachings.  He famously replied...
Since your Imperial Majesty and Lordships demand a simple answer I will do so without horns or teeth as follows: Unless I am convicted by the testimony of Scripture or by evident reason - for I trust neither in popes nor in councils alone, since it is obvious that they have often erred and contradicted themselves - I am convicted by the Scripture which I have mentioned and my conscience is captive by the Word of God. Therefore I cannot and will not recant, since it is difficult, unprofitable and dangerous indeed to do anything against one's conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen.
May God raise up more people willing to stand in the face of persecution, armed with the Truth.  May I be one.  May you too.  The world needs people like that.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment