Thursday, December 9, 2010

Spiritual Junk Email

I was thinking about the continuance of spam email that comes into my inbox.  I get a lot - some of it true spam, some of it junk from people who can't resist the urge to forward without going to Snopes.com first.  And then I thought about the spiritual junk that comes into my life.

It comes from quips and quotes that have their place in culture but can't be found in the Bible.  Most famously:  "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps" becomes "God helps those who help themselves."  The problem isn't with the quotes necessarily, it's that sometimes I believe the lie within them.

It comes from pressures that I don't need and don't want but are there.  Seemingly, they deal a lot with children.  Are they good enough, smart enough, reading at a high enough level, popular enough, involved enough?  Though I'd like to pass it all off on children, those (and many other pressures) are mostly about me.

It comes from a pace that tries to sprint through a marathon.  Get here.  Get there.  And hurry!  The organizing principle of life actually becomes a calendar instead of the calendar reflecting the organizing principle of life.  Love shrivels and the demands get more frantic.

I have to delete spam in my inbox.  Probably need to do the same in my life.  And replace it with something worthwhile.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment