Here are the sermon notes from the sermon on 9.12.10. We keep hammering the theme that Jesus isn't who we want Him to be, He is who He is. In this case, He's the one who calls for our commitment to Him. I didn't get through all these notes in the sermon, so next week will look somewhat the same. You can find these notes in PDF format and sermon audio at sermons.heritagepark.org. May God give us the grace to have eyes to see and ears to hear. Amen.
Can You See Him?
Some see Him but not clearly.
Some confess Him but don’t know what they’re saying.
- Suffering & Rejection – experiencing the physical and relational fracture in Creation.
- Murdered – dying voluntarily as a payment for sin.
- Resurrected – rising victoriously as powerful King.
- Because the content is true, we commit to Him – we are free to follow Jesus.
- We go deeper into the content of the Gospel as we follow Jesus – we do not move on from it.
- He calls for commitment from everyone, not just a few.
- Discipleship isn’t a second step in the Christian life – it is the Christian life.
Content of Commitment (v.34)
- Deny Yourself – this is not denying something to yourself but choosing the surpassing value of Christ.
- Take Up Your Cross – this is not a modest adjustment for an admirer but a consistent pattern for the disciple.
- Follow Me – this is not a convoy of experience seekers but a prescribed path with Him as our example.
“Because of” Rationale
- There is no life apart from Him (v.35)
- There is no possession of greater value than Him (v.36-37)
- There is no shame in confessing Him (v.38)