Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Midweek Memo 6.29.10

Here's the Midweek Memo column I wrote for our June 29th edition...

To the Saints at Heritage Park,

It’s always interesting work, this thing called pastoring a church. I don’t remember the last time I went home and told Ginny my day was dull, boring or even “regular.” But that’s part of why I enjoy being your pastor so much.

As I mentioned on Sunday, a few folks might have taken what I said the previous Sunday about God’s power and Jesus’ authority in a way that I didn’t intend. I hope my clarification helped. But there’s a greater principle that undergirds this whole discussion. That principle is one of the appropriate question.

A good question has the capacity to change the course of a conversation, the cirucmstances around you, even the direction of a life. And there are great questions in the Bible, one of which we looked at on Sunday: “Who is this, that even the winds and waves obey Him?” Or, how about, “What must I do to be saved?” Great questions, all of which lead us deeper into our understanding of who God is and how He’s at work in the world.

Kids are full of questions, my kids in particular (it seems). I get asked about God and clouds and rabbits and math and all sorts of other things. Which brings me to the specific application of that principle of the appropriate question into our setting. Should you ever have questions about the church, about the Bible, about something in a sermon or Bible study, about God, about life, about anything that we might be able to help with, please ask! It’s part of what it means to be family - to have a safe place to ask the questions that need to be asked. We might not know the answer, but we’ll work to find it. Should you ever want to contact one of us on staff with a question, our emails are our first names @ heritagepark.org.

Kingdom... 
Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment