Monday, June 14, 2010

A Little Bit of Me

I was born in a smallish town in east Texas.  We had a perfectly quaint middle class house and home.  Both parents worked (as long as I can remember) and we enjoyed skiing and summer vacations to Schlitterbahn.

Somewhere in the 7-year old range, a kid I knew named Brian was hit by a car while riding his bike and he died.  That was the first real encounter I had with death and it really shook me.  I remember my dad having to come home from his work to try to get me calmed down.  I had heard about people dying.  I even had a sister, whose portrait hung in our house, who passed before I was born (thus the 7 years between older brother and me).  But this was different.  This was someone I knew.

Frankly, because I was so young, I can't remember the exact sequence of things.  I know that God used this death of Brian to turn me to Him.  I remember not wanting to die and not wanting to be anywhere but with my family, but if I did, I wanted to be with God.  Somewhere in the middle of all of that I put my confidence in Christ and what He had done.  I had excellent teaching growing up - good Baptist Sunday School teaching.  All of this helped make all of that real.

No comments:

Post a Comment