Monday, May 10, 2010

Two idols, some poles, and high places

Secret sins are every bit as dangerous as known sins and must be dealt with just as ruthlessly.

I'm reading through the books of the Kings right now as I journey through the Bible this year.  One creepy theme keeps showing up and does so in sequels like the never-ending Friday the 13th movies.  That theme is the good kings and their response to the sins in the land.  They dealt with most of them, but the text testifies that they didn't tear down the asherah poles or destroy the golden calves or knock down the high places where the people offered incense.  It never attempts to explain the political or leadership pressures they faced that caused this course of action.

And this has me thinking (and praying):  where am I unwilling to deal with sin in my life?  Are there places in my life where I am not dealing with the sin that remains, no matter the reason or rationale or excuse or justification I might give?

Search me and know me.  Find out if there's any wicked way within me.  Lead me in the way everlasting.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment