Jesus and the Agenda
Mark 3.7-21, 31-35
Agenda: Call people to Himself
- The crowds were interested in what He did, not what He said.
- Those who desire His activity but not Him find themselves at a distance from Him.
- He is merciful but desires that His kindness lead us to repentance.
- In repentance, we turn from one thing to something else – from sinful idolatry to God.
- Jesus came that people might be rightly related to God (1 Peter 3.18).
Agenda: Send out His People
- He calls people to Himself with a purpose.
- That purpose: be with Him and minister for Him.
- Your authority in the Kingdom is directly related to your closeness with the King.
- Objection: isn’t this for the twelve apostles, not for me?
- Answer: everyone is called to be with Him and go for Him.
- Caution: going for Him does not mean you are His.
Agenda: Create a New Family
- Society: the family is primary and indispensable.
- Religion: the gatekeepers were no longer in charge.
- Relationship: the history they had became a stumbling block.
- Context: the message was completely foreign.
- Even if your family follows Him too, His call to obey will strain you.
- He is creating a new family with a new Father.
Jesus’ Agenda: Draw people to Himself to send them out in ministry to create a new family.