A Controversial Sunday
4 Pieces that Frame Sabbath
- Rhythm – a pace that sustains us.
- Rest – a practice that sustains us.
- Reflect – a place in God’s story.
- Reorient – a perspective that readies us.
Preservation of Institution over the people the Institution was designed to serve (2.24).
- Those who appeal to the law first are those who have something to lose.
Position of prestige of being the gatekeepers of the right way to believe and behave (2.26).
- Definitions of boundaries typically are used for self-justification and looking for loopholes.
Power of condemnation toward those who don’t keep the accepted rules (3.2-4).
- The rightness of a rule is contingent upon its tie to love for God and neighbor.
- Both instruction and exception are included in the Scriptures.
- If your religious rules obscure Jesus’ glory, you’re an idolater.
- If your religious rules conceal Jesus character, you’re ignorant.
- Anger is the appropriate response to wrong in the world.
- Righteous anger is mixed with grief over its cause.
- Religion doesn’t inhibit Jesus’ agenda – the religious just miss it.