Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Wrath of God was satisfied

The Ninja, the 8-year old, said this morning as we're listening to music and eating breakfast, "Dad, I like that line of the song.  It's my favorite part."

If you're not familiar with the song, it's In Christ Alone by the Getty's, who have come upon the Christian music scene as the modern day hymn writers.

The full line...

'Til on that cross where Jesus died
The Wrath of God was satisfied

The Presbyterian Church USA created a small kerfuffle when they decided they didn't like the wrath of God being satisfied and instead wanted "The Love of God" to be "magnified."  But the Getty's didn't let them change the lyric because they wanted to hold forth the traditional Christian doctrine that on the cross a payment happened for sin, satisfying God's wrath and providing His righteousness.

And I'm reading, in conjunction for my next doctoral class, sermons by Jonathan Edwards, he of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God fame.

So all of that combined makes my response to the Ninja genuine:  "Yep, Ninja, I like that one too."

Because the more I'm in touch with my depravity, selfishness, idolatry, unruliness, and disordered soul, the more I'm grateful that the wrath of God that was once against me was satisfied by One who could bear it redemptively on my behalf.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment