Monday, November 11, 2013

Happy Veterans' Day, Grandpas

Happy Veterans' Day to both my grandfathers.

Paternal Grandfather fixed planes and worked for the USAAF in a few other capacities during WWII.  He never served overseas but was one of the many backstage guys that made stuff happen so that front line guys could do what they needed to do.

Maternal Grandfather served in the Pacific as a SeaBee, the battlefield construction guys.  He was behind the Marines on Guadalcanal.  He worked to repair the airfield there and told me the scariest in-person story of warfare I've ever heard.  Bottom line:  it doesn't feel particularly secure to work on an airfield when you're getting strafed by Japanese Zeroes.

Both are with Jesus now.  But I can't help but remember them today.

And I think about our guys at church who either have served or are serving.  Thanks, fellas.  And a special shout-out to my friend:  Semper Fi, Marine.

No comments:

Post a Comment