Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Shaven Heads and Church


I know I'm behind in the reporting, but I love the fact that George H. W. Bush (affectionately known as "41") shaved his head for the sake of the kid with leukemia whose dad is on 41's security detail [LINK].  I love that.  I love that 41 is 80+ and still kicking it and that he has the chutzpah to pull off something like that.  Some people thought it was a publicity stunt.  But if you're a former president in your 80's with not much time left on the planet, do you really need publicity?

It reminds me of ministry.  We identify with those who are hurting.  We weep with those who weep (Romans 12.15).  We recognize not only that people around us are hurting - we recognize the people themselves, the ones who are hurting.  And in our best ministry-oriented moments, we enter into their pain to the degree we can and try to alleviate it, strengthen them so they can endure it, or both.

Does that stick anywhere on your life today?  If so, there's probably something to be done.

I can tell story after story of people in our church who have done this.  We're not perfect, but we work hard to bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ (Gal. 6.2).  And if you don't do that as a church, is it really church?

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment