20 – Marriage is a Gospel Issue
Three Framing Statements
· The Gospel is God’s pursuit of a broken world
· The Gospel is God’s power in a broken world
· The Gospel is God’s proclamation to a broken world
Marriage is a picture of God’s pursuit of a broken world
· Founds Christian marriage on something eternal, something lasting
· Marriage is about God – not you primarily.
Marriage is a picture of God’s power in a broken world
· What better way to be sanctified than in a close-quarters relationship that requires more than you can naturally give?
Marriage is a picture of God’s proclamation to a broken world
· Through your marriage, you tell God’s story – the ways we love in marriage, the ways we stay in marriage, the ways we’re shaped by marriage
The one thing we need most today: commitment
· Can you imagine if God was as committed to you as you were to your spouse?
· Better: we take God as our standard of commitment because we made vows before Him
Bolstering your Commitment
1. Be God-centered in your marriage
2. Ask the right question: how, not if
· Bonhoeffer: “It is not your love that sustains your marriage, but from now on, your marriage that sustains your love.”
3. Live with a sense of eternity
4. Fear the consequences
5. Tell your Story