Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Phil Mickelson won the British Open - and I'm glad

Sometimes good guys do win.

Phil Mickelson did so in style with a final round of 66 (-5 to par) on Sunday.  He called it the round of his life.  Maybe so.  I'm just glad he had it.

I like the way he plays golf.  He's a go-for-broke kind of guy who was once quoted on the difference between a great shot and a smart shot being a smart shot is what a guy hits when he doesn't have the guts to try to pull of a great shot.  I may be off a smidge on that, but not much.

But I also like the fact that he hugged Amy, his wife of 17 years, and embraced his three kids.  I like the fact that he basically suspended his golfing career when Amy was diagnosed with breast cancer and in interviews on the subject talked about it in the first person plural (our treatment, etc.).  I like the fact that he often signs autographs for an hour.  I like the fact that he and Amy started a foundation that helps with education in math and science.  I could go on and on.

Let me sum it up though:  he remembers that there's more to life than what makes him money or makes him famous.

I don't know if he's a person of faith or not.  I do know that he's a great example which some husbands and dads who are followers of Jesus can follow (contra another famous golfer who can't swing without cussing and has made a very public wreck out of a disaster called his personal life).

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment