Monday, September 24, 2012

Context Matters

This morning, as most Mondays, I hit the gym with a friend.  I love our local YMCA.  I really do.  They're nice people with a newer facility and it's within shouting distance of my house.  All of this makes for a wonderful workout experience (if there is such a thing).

One of the things that cracks me up about our YMCA is the music they play in the Wellness Center (aka where we lift weights and do cardio).  It's not bad.  In fact, I commend them for trying to put the "C" back in YMCA.

But the music is old.

Case in point, this morning I am hoofing it on the bench press and David Meece's We are the Reason comes on.  First, it's a Christmas song.  Second, it's not exactly inspiring when you're lifting weights.  Need proof?  Well, imagine yourself beneath a bench press bar lifting to...


One morning, Amy Grant's classic Father's Eyes came on.  It's a little hard to do your exercises to that.  Maybe you're a better worker-outer than me, but it's just a little rough.

Why?

Because context matters.  I love David Meece at Christmas time (genuinely - I do).  He's one of the people I cut my Christian music teeth on.  But in a gym, it's a different story.  Something with a little more energy might do some good.

Here's where I cut to the chase scene:  context matters in presentations.  As a church, we're in a season focusing on praying for our lost friends and neighbors.  I have no doubt that God is going to open doors for presentations of the Gospel to them.  But context matters.

Sharing the Gospel will look different for different people.  Context matters.  Paul preached on Mars Hill in one way, but shared differently with Lydia at the river's edge.  Sharing with a neighbor who's hurting is going to look different than sharing with one who is prideful.

But sharing is what's important.  And context matters.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...



And for all 80's Christian music lovers:


No comments:

Post a Comment