Monday, August 27, 2012

Remaking Jesus

A sweet, well-intentioned, elderly lady is catching all sorts of grief from all sorts of people.  I'll go ahead and pile on.

The lady decided to help the church by restoring a fresco painted in the late 1800's or early 1900's.  It had been painted in the Sanctuary of Mercy Church near Zaragoza, Spain.  Behold the Man was painted originally by Elias Garcia Martinez.

Here's what happened...



Now here's the deal.  Yes, it's a terrible restoration.  Some have said it looks like a kid's Crayon drawing of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic.  That may be harsh or true.

Here's what is true.

I take a brush to Jesus all the time.  I make Him look like what I want on a whim.  My remake is at-will.  And it involves the way I treat others.  It involves the way I pray.  It involves what I feel entitled to from Him.  It involves what I call "His will" when it's really my preference.  It also shows up when I get to be the evaluator of worship, whether or not it was "good" or "moving."

Yep.

Pass me a Crayon.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...


No comments:

Post a Comment