Monday, July 16, 2012

Why I believe in VBS

We kick off VBS at 9:00 this morning.  As the gathered church, yesterday we knelt (quite literally) and prayed for it.  It runs through Thursday and I can't wait to see what God will do.

Some have given up on VBS as a legitimate outreach or discipleship tool for children.  I get it as to why.  Some of the programs have become Gospel-lite and glorified babysitters.  Some are burned out on the decoration and ramp up and get-going process, only to see it all come a crashing and trashing 5 days later.

But I like VBS.  Here's why...

1.  Children hear the Gospel.  We don't do a high-pressure thing like the VBS I grew up in as a kid.  But I promise you, if your kid comes to any day of our VBS, they will hear the Gospel.  And that's a good thing because even if they're not ready to respond in repentance and faith, they will at least have a framework for understanding what it means to relate rightly to God.

2.  It mobilizes the Body to ministry.  We will have the better part of 100 volunteers (and maybe more) for the 300+ K-5 kids who will be there.  Everyone plays a part.  And the parts are meaningful.

3.  VBS is a high-profile ministry for our church, raising awareness that God is up to something and giving an idea of what God is doing in our midst.  Those who are not connected to our church or any church have positive exposure through VBS.

4.  We inevitably have stories to tell of how God has worked.  And that's just good for the Body to hear and celebrate.

So count me a fan.  God has certainly used it among us.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

P.S.  A great many thanks for staying with me through 750 posts.  I'm not sure I thought I'd make it this long!

No comments:

Post a Comment