Part 5 – Family Struggles
Addition (Genesis 16)
- God’s standard: one man, one woman for one lifetime.
- This temptation shows up when impatience and bitterness rule.
- The consequences are dire and often generational.
Plan (Genesis 17-18)
- God does not give up on His people or His promises.
- Abraham first met God’s promise with doubt.
- Abraham then met God’s promise with preference.
- Our focus is often on the what, when, and how of the promise instead of the Who.
Pattern (Genesis 20)
- In a moment of insecurity, Abraham relapsed into an old pattern.
- Popular patterns:
o Throw myself into work.
o Retreat into myself.
o Self-preservation tactics
- God almost always challenges us at the point of our treasure.
- Abraham responded with faith-filled obedience.
- In testing, God was showing Abraham what was in his character.
- In testing, God was showing Abraham what was not in God’s character.