Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fred Luter, SBC President

I don't really follow Southern Baptist politics.  Let me rephrase that:  I don't follow them at all.  However, since I was bagging on the SBC yesterday via my Lifeway post, let me give a God-is-still-at-work-don't-write-Ichabod-yet report.

Fred Luter is the new president of the SBC.  It's an elected position that carries a 2-year term typically.  I really have no idea if they can run again or anything else.  As I said, I don't know the inner workings of the politics.

You know what's awesome about Fred Luter being president?

To get it, you'll need to understand a little bit of the backstory of the SBC.  Founded in 1845, they were a splinter group from a larger faction of Baptists in America.  And why, you ask, did they splinter?  I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count.

Mid-1800's.

SOUTHERN Baptist.

If you've put 2 and 2 together to equal slavery, then you are exactly right.  The convention was originally conceived because the southern churches didn't want to take any guff from the northern churches on the issue of slavery.  In fact, many Southern Baptist churches became theological defenders of that southern scourge.  As horrible as it sounds, some of our religious forefathers were using the Scripture to pervert the Truth.  There was another time I remember someone doing that, someone quoting the Scripture to Jesus about not even hurting His foot if He jumped off the temple's highest point.  Yes, friends, we were on the wrong side of the Truth and the wrong side of history.  Shame on us.

And so that's why I am a little excited and just might keep up with Fred Luter.  I haven't still haven't explained who Fred Luter is, though.  Well, he's the new president of the Southern Baptist Convention.  And here's his picture.



The first African-American to be elected as the president.  It's been too long a time coming, but it did happen.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment