Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tree of Life Day 58: Mark 15

Which is worse in this story:  the physical pain by scourging, beating, and crucifixion, or the pain of the psyche as He was spit upon, mocked, and belittled?

I have no idea.  I've never gone down a road like that.

But I wonder if it were the latter.  I say that because think of all the things that He could've done to stop that.  He could've gone Darth Vader choke hold on someone and said in His best James Earl Jones voice, "I find your lack of faith disturbing."  That would've stopped the mocking.  He could have instantly dried up the saliva in someone's mouth - no more spitting.

That's a little lighthearted for such a heavy topic, but I wonder if the greatest pain in that was the insult they were making against the beauty of the glory of God.  They just couldn't see it.  So they belittled it.

And I'm pretty sure I've had times where I just couldn't see it and belittled it too.  I choose a lesser pleasure and lesser beauty over the greatest pleasure and beauty.  I can't get past my need of the moment to see just how little it really is in light of the greater good.

Father, give me eyes to see.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment