Advent 2011 - Joy
Candle of Joy is different color b/c it’s a different concept.
- Hope is a byproduct of seeing God. Peace is a byproduct of seeing God.
- Joy is something we pursue in God. He’s not glorified by teeth-clinched duty (unless it’s repentant, sorrowful duty).
But Christmas isn’t joy for everyone.
- Grief and loss - Reminder of what you don’t have or who you don’t have anymore.
- Family - dysfunction, bitterness, frustration, etc.
- The dry places will experience refreshing and fruitfulness (v.1-2).
- Transformation will come to individuals and places (v.5-7).
- God’s people will be with Him forever (v.8-10)
The one word that is associated throughout this passage with His promises is joy.
- As promised, God came to save His people.
- All His vengeance and reward for sin was satisfied at the cross.
- Everyone who turns to Him will be received. (v.3-4)
- Spiritually barren?
- Weak and feeble?
- Anxious b/c of your past?
- Joyful songs come from joyful hearts.