Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Something in the pot

My wife says I'm a crockpot thinker.  I tend to throw things in and let them stew for a while before making a decision.  Fair enough judgment about me on her part.  Guilty as charged.

As to how this relates to the blogosphere and, in particular, this grand little experiment and wonderful discipline in my little corner of the blogosphere, I'll say that I've been thinking a lot about spiritual growth lately and will probably spend 3-4 days on in the days to come.  Something came out of me last week that said:
It strikes me that the difference between "being" and "seeming" isn't so much the distance between the two but the hard work or commitment it takes to make the transition.
I think there's a lot to explore there.


But that has nothing to do with today's post.  But this is my blog and I'll chase rabbits if I want to...


Today I want to let you in on a little practice that I've been doing (and have done before) for the past several weeks:  praying the psalms.  I mentioned this before in August, but I'd like to take it back up just for a moment.


The way that I've been doing this is taking a psalm each day and letting a particular phrase or line lodge in my heart.  Admittedly, sometimes I spend several days on a single psalm (try 16, it's gold).  And how do I let the phrase lodge in my heart?  I don't really.  The Holy Spirit is the Chief Lodger.  My role is to keep reading until He wields the sword.


So, if you'd like to try this, here are some practical things I've learned along the way...


First, time is of the essence.  What I mean by that is that if you won't take the time to sit quietly and still-ly and humbly and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and plead for God to speak, the psalms will remain strange Hebrew poetry that you know are good but can't get past the feeling of when you first encountered a Haiku in 6th grade English class.


Second, when God speaks (and He will), you have to let it be in your soul like a perfectly grilled filet mignon with just the right seasoning is in your mouth.  Linger.  Don't hurry.  Let it tumble in your brain.  I read the other day, "...through the steadfast love of the Most High he shall not be moved."  Steadfast love from God most high.  It's an anchor, holding me steady.  I dealt with that and dwelt on that all day.


Third, there will be parts you just don't get.  I have a theology degree and I don't get them all.  I especially don't get some of the language that relates to David's experiences with God.  I'm just not that astute.  But that doesn't bother me.  It actually encourages me.  It encourages me to pursue God more and harder and with greater ardor and zeal and focus.  What it says (when I don't get it all) is that there is more to be learned and experienced and enjoyed of God.  Who wants a God that I can understand fully after 150 chapters?  I'd rather get lost in a God that I'll never figure out.  The former I'd manage.  The latter I worship.


Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.  I'd be happy to learn from you too!


But that's just me thinking thoughts...



No comments:

Post a Comment