Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Quote from Thomas Paine

I don't think Thomas Paine was a friend of Christianity in any of its forms (during his day nor would he be in ours).  But this quote is worth hearing and has some inherently Christian thinking in it.


Not a man lives on the continent but fully believes that a separation must some time or other finally take place, and a generous parent should have said, ‘If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace’; and this single reflection, well applied, is sufficient to awaken every man to duty.
The kind of call to duty mentioned here means we take responsibility for what needs to be done, for getting it done, and for making the world a better place.  It means living courageously and, at times, ferociously to protect those who need it and will come after us.

Seems pretty biblical to me.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment