Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Marriage Investment

This is a brief post for all who are married or want to be married some day.

Getting away with your spouse is crucial for your marital health.  My wife and I just did for the first time in 2+ years (aka since the adoption of our daughter).  It was so refreshing and renewing for us and our relationship.

You don't have to go far.  You don't have to go expensively.  But do go.  Get out and do something together that you can enjoy.  When you do this, don't schedule a bunch of stuff that keeps your individual preferences at the forefront.  The biggest thing is to carve out the time it takes to really be together.

The guy who did our premarital counseling told us:  "Your quality time will come in the midst of your quantity time."

So true.

So plan some time and get away.  Renew.  Reconnect.  Refresh.

But that's just me thinking thoughts...

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh... John and I are going to Boston in October. First vacation since fall 2006. And the last time I was on an airplane was April 2007 for a Morocco trip. It has been TOOOO long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, so true. One of the great legacies my parents left me was one of modeling that for us. When Faith & I first started dating, the thing that impressed her the most about my folks was their regular date nights. I don't remember a time as a kid when my parents weren't regularly taking time to be away without us. To the best of my knowledge they still "date" regularly and so do we. And it has always been on purpose, not just the occasional happenstance moment (which can be great as well). It does make a huge difference in the quality of the relationship, when you regularly and consistently set aside time for just the two of you.

    ReplyDelete