Wednesday, August 17, 2011

There's Something about the Quiet

I love the quiet of the early morning.

I remember multiple times going fishing with my brothers and/or dad on this little lake that you had to walk a mile to from your car and just listening.  Birds.  Crickets.  Wind in the tall pines.  Squirrels scurrying.  Even the uh-oh-what-was-that-in-the-pine-needles?

I wonder if God looks down on our busy lives, packed full of media and music and meetings, and gets sad.  I wonder if He gets sad because in our race to entertain and amuse ourselves (what we call giving ourselves and our kids multiple opportunities) we miss the symphony of sound coming from the orchestra of things like an early morning in the woods going fishing.  Even at my house right now where I'm writing it's quiet. A ticking clock, the low whoosh of the fan on my MacBook Pro, and the birds I can hear through the window.

There's something settling about silence when you get past the part that unnerves you.  For me, I remember that I have a soul and that the meeting later might not be as important as I think it is and that visiting the baby just born in the hospital is a wonderful opportunity for ministry (two things on my plate today).

A couple of deep breaths.  Prayers.  Fuel from Psalm 2 this morning - "He who sits in the heavens laughs [at those who think they will have their way against God]."  Enjoying a few more moments of quiet.  Then to the rest of the day.  Try it.  You just might like it!

But that's just me thinking thoughts...


No comments:

Post a Comment