Part 3 – Advancing the Message
What happened to Paul? (v.12)
- He is in jail and in chains.
- His grief is present but not preeminent, swallowed by the agenda of his King.
How did Paul respond? (v.18)
- His heart-level response was joy.
- He did not rejoice because of his situation or his hope of being rescued from it.
- His rejoiced because God was using it.
Why would Paul respond like this? (v.12)
- Paul knew hardship brought clarity and growth (3.10).
- Paul saw Jesus advancing His message through him.
- Even through mixed motives, Paul saw God at work (v.15-17).
- Sometimes our Father will send us into hardship because there are things we will never learn and things we will never accomplish apart from it.
What are the outcomes? (v.13-14)
- The people around him knew about Christ’s work in Paul’s life.
- Other believers became bolder in telling others about Christ.